J Con is inspired by Japan, and inspired by anime. We’re working on some great events relating to anime for J Con 2019!
J Con is working on our video games section. There’ll be super serious life and death competitions, or just come along to chill out and try some guys. 🙂 We’ll be posting updates here, and on our social media.
Artists and Traders
Having a cool selection of artists, traders, craftspeople, and exhibitions is an important part of any con. We want J Con to be the same and better.
Trade hall applications are now closed!
J Con’s super awesome special guests will be giving panel presentations with Q&A time too.
We also want to have as much fan involvement as possible for the panels at J Con. If you are interested in applying to give a panel, you can apply here
Want to learn some Japanese? Or practice making sushi? J Con is also working hard on talks/lessons/classes on a whole range of J-culture. So it’ll be an excellent day for having fun experiences, or finding a new hobby.
Pocky Eating Competition
What could be more exciting than finding out who has the greatest appetite for everyone’s favorite Japanese chocolate-covered biscuit-based confectionary? Don’t know?? Neither do we!
This may well be the first (but definitely not last) time a Pocky Eating Competition has been held in Ireland. “J Con, making history…”
Contestants shall try to consume as much Pocky as is humanly possible within two standard minutes. The winner shall be the person who has consumed the most Pocky, as measured by the number of sticks wholly consumed.
Sign-up shall be limited to 10 contestants (subject to change). Contestants will be selected from attendees to the panel, decided by luck/fate. Entrance to the room will be on a first come first served Pocky basis.
All of the Pocky leftover. If there is none left, everyone is a winner.
1. No snakes
2. Contestants shall keep their hands behind their backs until the beginning buzzer is sounded.
3. All Pocky will be untouched (i.e. inside the shiny plastic inside the cardboard box) until the competition begins.
4. Contestants will have one bottle of water, which they may open and drink during the contest.
5. Any method of consumption (1 at a time, 15 at a time, etc) is allowed as long as the Pocky goes into contestants’ mouths and doesn’t come back out.
6. No choking
7. Cosplay optional
8. Onlookers may give no physical help to the contestants. However cheering competitors on is encouraged.
9. Contestants are allowed to and are in fact encouraged to, distract other contestants in order to gain a competitive advantage.
10. Judge’s decision is final.
All Ireland Rock Paper Scissors Championships
If you, like the J Con Ireland team, have been wondering things like “Why do we not know who is the best Rock Paper Scissors player in all of the land?!” or “I am surely the best Rock Paper Scissors player, I can destroy anyone, but I don’t have the chance to prove it?!” then look no further….
J Con Ireland proudly presents the one and only
ALL IRELAND ROCK PAPER SCISSORS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Contestants will play Rock Paper Scissors against each other in a knock-out style tournament until the eventual winner is found.
Sign-up will be on the day at the Information Desk. The first 512 people will be allowed to enter the tournament. (** Numbers may be subject to change)
1. No snakes
2. All competitors must “be sound”.
3. To play Rock Paper Scissors, two competitors must in unison say “Rock, paper, scissors, shoot” and then throw their choice at the same time, using appropriate hand movements. You know the deal. There will be demonstration and practice time on the day.
4. The competition will be run in knock-out style, round by round. Thus half of the competitors will be eliminated in each round. E.g. In the 1st round 512 competitors becomes 256 competitors, in the 2nd round 256 becomes 128, etc
5. The competitors who remain in the game should stand in the middle of the contest area. Eliminated players should stand at the edge of the contest area.
6. The initial rounds will be “immediate sudden death”. The rounds of 32, 16, 8 and 4 will be “Best of 3”. The Final shall be “Best of 5”.
7. The competition will be run with an honour-based, self-refereed format. Please see Rule 2.
8. No “early throws” or “late throws” // “ato-dashi janken”. Please see Rule 2.
9. Anyone taking the competition too seriously will immediately be disqualified. However, mock seriousness is allowed and encouraged.
10. In the event of an argument that cannot be de-escalated, the decisions of the judges / J Con Rock Paper Scissors Grand Master will be final.